Referring Students to DRD

We recognize it can be uncomfortable to talk with students about sensitive matters. The following provides information on how to determine if a referral to the Disability Resources Department might be needed, suggestions on how to discuss this with your student, and information on how to complete the attached referral slip. You may always contact our department for assistance in referring a student.

Common indicators one might observe in a student with a disability:
  • Unexplained changes in behavior, hygiene, effort or quality of work.
  • Consistent lack of success despite appropriate effort (e.g.: failing test grades but does consistently well on homework).
  • Appears distracted, disconnected or shows atypical emotions in class.
  • Regularly misunderstands directions.
  • Difficulty participating in class discussion (e.g.: interrupts, off topic, contributes less/more than appropriate).
  • Difficulty working with group members.
  • Poor time management and organizational skills.
  • Consistent lack of follow through.

Conversation starters: The following are a few ideas on how to begin a private conversation with a student. A good strategy is to begin by describing your observation(s) and stating concern(s). Then, direct the student to possible campus resources, including a referral to the Disability Resources Department.

“I see you are making an effort in class and noticed that exams seem to be difficult.”

“At the beginning of the semester, you were doing well. Recently, I have observed…”

“Students who have similar struggles have contacted the Disability Resources Department and have received assistance. Here is the contact information for DRD.”

Complete a referral slip: Please fill in the referral slip as thoroughly as possible and give it to the student to bring to the Disability Resources Department. Please encourage the student to seek support as soon as possible. Information on how to access our services is included on the slip.


For additional information, please contact us.